Grave’s disease – pathology and pictures
- Thyroid gland shows nodular structure.
- Colloid is highly diluted, pale with plenty optical empty („resorbtive”) vacuoles at the periphery, at some place – ‘garland’- like appearance. Some follicles even show no colloid inside.
- Papillary projections of the follicular epithelium leads to the so called ’Sanderson’s cushions ‘ and imparts a ‘starry’ like shape of the thyroid follicles.
- Blood vessels are multiple, with hyperemia.
- In the interstitium– lymphoid infiltrates which however do not form lymphoid follicles with germinal centres.