Giant cell epulis – pathology and pictures
- Hyperplastic, tumor like formation of the gum, covered with multilayered squamous eoithelium with parakeratosis. It can be ulcerated with granulation tissue below the epithelium.
- Epulis is composed of fibroblast – like cells and giant multinucleated cells resembling the normal osteoclasts. They are separated from the epidermis by connective tissue .
- Giant cells are separated from the adjacent tissue with a lighter area. They have a round shape and basophilic (bluish) cytoplasm, in which lie dozen bright oval nuclei .
- Epulis is lavishly capillarized . At the periphery is found hemosiderin – sign for old hemorrhages.
- Along with the most common giant cell epulis there are also angiomatous and fibromatous types.