- In 80% of the glomeruli are found extra capillary â€˜crescentsâ€™, Â which engage 2/3 of the circumference of Baumanâ€™s capsule.
- The process starts intra-capillary as a result of the anti- basement membrane immunologic mechanism (10%) Â or as deposits of circulating in the blood immune complexes.
- The urinary space is occupied by â€˜crescentsâ€™, which represent cellular proliferations â€˜pushed throughâ€™ the leaks of glomerular basement membrane .
- The crescents are of different stage of maturation. They are built up of blood monocytes, epithelial cells of parietal layer of Baumanâ€™s capsule, fibroblasts, fibrin and erythrocytes.
- The process ends with global hyalinization of glomeruli.
- Tubular epithelium is with expressed degenerative changes.
- Macroscopically: â€˜Big white kidneysâ€™.