Choriocarcinoma – pathology and pictures
- Malignant tumor of trophoblastic epithelium.
- It is built up of strands of atypical trophoblast cells without stroma.
- Among areas with extensive necroses and hemorrhages are found large ‘monstrous’ single nucleated Langhans cells and syncytiotrophoblast cells in different ratio.
- Syncytiotrophoblast cellss (syt) have multiple spindle hyperchromatic nuclei set in eosinophilic cytoplasm.
- Langhans cells (Lc) are more brighter, polygonal, with more expressed cell atypia.
- There are no chorionic villi and serum level of HCG is very high.